Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reports of my disintegration have been exaggerated

Crazy thing, this whole marriage shebang. Takes up a whole lot of time, you know? Seriously.

Meanwhile... the esteemed leader of our local congregation Rabbi Asher Zeilengold attended the Sheva Brachos on the first night of Rosh Hashanah, and mentioned to me there that he thought I was trying to put my own political views into the discussion when I was saying the maamar by the Kabbalos Panim. I thought he was referring to the part where it goes on a bit of a rant about how Jews are so much better than non-Jews. I, cognizant of my audience, had inserted a whole thing about how "What it means is that Jews are not bound by nature and non-Jews are", or something to that effect.

I asked the Rabbi what he meant, and he said, "You kept on saying how Obama is bad!" I said, "Huh?" He said, "Sure, in the maamar, it talks about before davening, when a person considers himself to be a bama, a structure, meaning that he's haughty and full of himself!"

Cute, eh?

14 comments:

Nosson said...

Mazel tov, i am very happy for you. But seriously, the first post after the wedding and the mew year and it's about obama? But i guess your not the boss of you anymore ;)

bonne said...

Hah! Knew you'd be back.

the TRS fan club society said...

YAY, TRS IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dovid said...

hello TRS!

Altie said...

Welcome back.

shneur said...

hey chanan youre back after all
we had such a good time at your wedding

Qtap said...

Welcome back.

A joke like that I expect for my father, not Rabbi Zeilengold. Who knew.

Nemo said...

Not to rain on your parade or anything -- or maybe davka to rain on your parade -- this post represents everything that is wrong with TRS as of late. You write a semi-intelligent post which opens the door for political banter, theological debate, crude humor, or personal reflection during these high holy days of awe. However, the first seven replies are all numbskulls squawking about your return without commenting on the substance of the post. I mean, God, it's been like 11 days without you online and these people make it like it's been years ...

Altie said...

So nemo, what do you think of his post?

joe said...

hay after Obamas speach at the UN today I think I rather have a bema as president then the obongo

Anarchist Chossid said...

Nu, nu…

I mean, mazel tov.

Cheerio said...

why does everyone hate obama? i mean, if you have legitimate political differences, i get it.
but automatically, it seems most average lubavs don't like him.
could it be (gasp)... his race?

Altie said...

Gasp. No, most of them are just ignorant, and want to yell about something or other. The president is a big thing to yell about, the bigger the better, they just want their voice to be heard, no matter what they are saying, and they figure if they sound even a fraction intelligent...

reminds me of the commentary on ch.info

Yitzchak said...

Cheerio: you can have legitimate political differences because you think he's wrong and you can hate him because he's an ostrich and it'll cost you.