Friday, April 18, 2008

We're coming closer...

Tonight is the night before the night before Pesach, and therefore I'll just give you all some of my thoughts on Pesach, and what it means to me. I'm giving myself a deadline of 1:00 AM to finish, so if it's too short or something, well, that's my fault.
Anyway, Pesach is all about getting rid of Chametz, both in a physical and a spiritual sense. This particular topic has been harped on so often that I really have nothing too brilliant to add. All I'd say is that if people spent just 10% of the time they devote to their physical cleaning on spiritual cleaning, the world would be a much better place. It seems to me, and I know that I'm going against everything that I wrote/butchered last night, that people are trained to avoid introspection. Sure, some people do it all the time, but that's just because they're masochists. No one really wants to evaluate themselves. They're too scared of what they'll come up with. Why are we less afraid of our physical possessions? Probably because, at the end, they really don't matter. There's mice in the house (Not that there is)? So, who's fault is that? It's nature, or nurture, or your kids, or husband, or whatever, but certainly not yours. Point is, there's someone to blame.
With soul-baring however, there just (as the Marcus Brothers would have it) ain't nobody to blame. So we try and avoid it. Pesach teaches us-hold on there one minute buster. Why does every holiday have to teach us? Why do we always have to learn a lesson from every single thing in the whole universe? Can't we all just live and let live?
Anyway, as I was saying, Pesach teaches us that though cleaning properly is a major pain, it's 1. necessary, and 2. possible. Is spiritual cleaning that much harder? In some respects, it's probably easier. No one else has to know it's going on, and there's no annoying family that moves in once your done (just kidding). Besides, introspection is such a nice word, and it will look good on any resume. Or for that matter, on any gravestone.
OK then folks, I've run over my self-imposed time limit here by six minutes, and I'm also rather tired, as usual, so bye.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Real Shliach: think of it, there are a number of professions (industry, some would say) who depend on the fact that the hardest thing to do honestly evaluate oneself. The professions I'm referring to by the way are psychiatrists, psycologists, spiritualists, gurus, writers of self help books etc. Point is people will pay almost anything to anyone who can help them avoid spiritual cleaning usually by means of excuses, blame of others, or providing formulas that sound good and don't require too much insight. Jokes aside, admitting one's spiritual status, assuming one can even understand it, is the most difficult thing. Far easier to clean the car! As ever, your faithful reader, L de Toot.