Sunday, November 8, 2009

Nizkarim

There's a dvar Torah about this past week's Haftora (Vayera) that I've thought about every single year since I first heard it in 2004. Originally blogged on October 27, 2007 (read some cute comments there), here it is (slightly edited):

When I was a young child, back in YOEC, I heard something so good that I still remember it. The Rosh (Our fearless leader) gives a speech every Shabbos, and four years ago yesterday was no exception. The Haftora for Parshas Vayera deals with the Shunamite woman who Elisha first promises a child and then brings back to life. The child I mean. Sephardim only read the Haftora half-way, up to the point where she (the woman) tells her husband not to worry about the dead kiddie. Ashkenazim read the whole thing, up until the actual resurrection. Lubavitch normally follows the Sephardim rite, but for this Haftora we read according to the Ashkenazic version. Why? Hold on a second, you'll soon find out. See, Sephardim are big believers. In fact, they'll believe anything you tell them (how do you think I got that bridge off my hands?) which is a beautiful thing. On the other hand, Ashkenazim are a bunch of skeptical Apikorsim. So, obviously, Chabad wants to believe. But in this Haftora, we follow the Ashkenazim, because it deals with redemption, and when it comes to redemption, we don't want just to be told that it's all going to be good, we want to see the redemption.

Isn't that beautiful? I certainly thought so.

22 comments:

Dovid said...

very nice.

bonne said...

So this is from 6 years ago?

Zvi said...

Amen! and this is a sweet little dvar Torah. Thank you for reposting.

C said...

Short and sweet. Perfect.

Thanks.

Yitzchak said...

Nonsense. Chabad reads the sephardic version because it's shorter. (I love chabad) This time the longer version works a chasidishe miracle story in so they read it. The only miracle is that you recount a mofes by a non-lubavitcher.

/joke

e said...

subscribing.

Cheerio said...

relevant despite its age ;)

Yossi said...

the rosh has amazing divrei torah about the haftorahs.

Yossi said...

especially on tazria metzorah.
last year I ate at his house that shabbos, but davened with mesivta, of course, so he repeated for me his dvar torah he gave (or sermon, whichever you prefer). It was so good and passionate, I have two words for it: Wow-wee

Just like a guy said...

Dovid+Zvi+C+Cheerio+Yossi=A lot of comments.

Sara: I heard it then, but I only wrote it a couple of years ago.

Modeh: And by Beshalach? We're stuck with the longest one in the book...

e: You had better comments the first time around.

Yossi: Nu, please share it!

Anarchist Chossid said...

subscribing…

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

TRS: yeah, because everyone reads it and you have no excuse.

Yossi said...

hmm, maybe you'll just have to wait til we get up to there, and I'll post it on my blog...
it was basically about the power of simple nobodies. a little girl told the general about the propeht elisha who later told him about the going to the river to take a dip. there of course is the usual lesson there about just because something is easy doesn't mean it's not right....
but the haftorah in metzorah about the dudes who found out about the leftover treasure, they told the yidden about it instead of keeping for themselves...

i'd have to remember specifics, but it was about the power and huge effect a simple person with kabalos ol can have.
the way he said it was incredible. I think he had us all in tears at the table...

Just like a guy said...

Modeh: I believe sephardim only read the second half?

Yossi: Was he crying?

Yossi said...

tearing is a better term. I don't know what his mood was during the actual sermon. Usually he gets angry when talking to the bochurim, no matter what he's talking about...

Just like a guy said...

It's not anger, it's love!

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

"Isn't that beautiful?"- Actually it's a bit absurd..

Though I feel bad for the Ashkenazim who usually have a lot more to read in the haftara (though the Moroccan tune for it is so nice I wouldn't mind reading haftarot all day).

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Really? Don't Lebanese do the whole thing?

Dovid said...

Yossi- (seeing as I can't comment on your blog): lol

Yossi said...

trs- externally it's anger. but you're right that it's always love