Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Redeem thyself

Tonight is Tes Kislev, which leads into Yud Kislev, which is the day I wrote a cute post a couple years ago. Some things change over time, and something don't... (read the comments in that post).

Have you ever realized that truth is non-negotiable? It just is. If you don't like it then that's fine, but you can't escape it. Why do I bring this up? Probably because I couldn't remember what I really wanted to write. Ah, now it's all coming back. Last night we had a Farbrengen for the auspicious day of Yud Kislev, the day that the Mitteler Rebbe was freed from jail. Though Shillibear attended he didn't say anything, leaving the inspirational shtuff to the Shluchim of YHSTC. Oh, in case you're wondering, the reason I try to avoid the word "Stuff" is because my third grade teacher, Mrs. Ring, would always tell my class that "stuff" is what you put in turkeys, and for every other situation you should be a bit more specific. Anyway, I talked about the Mitteler Rebbe. He really made things very easy for us. Both of his important days are right next to each other, so we can spend just 48 hours and then forget about him for the rest of the year.

Shillibear liked this. At least, I think he did. He laughed. Point is, we've got this incredible Man of G-d, and no one cares in he least. His father, the Alter Rebbe, said that if you would cut him no blood would would flow it, but rather Chassidus. When he was 14, and ready to get married, he had many proposals, and when they asked him which he wanted he said, "whichever one is ready to get married the fastest, because I want to hear a Maamar from my father."

Do you realize what this means? Here's a guy whose whole existence was dedicated to the word of G-d. Simply incredible.

16 comments:

La-Z-Boy said...

I think both Mrs. Ring and e would be "absolutely horrified" by your use of something instead of some things...;)

La-Z-Boy said...

I think both Mrs. Ring and e would be "absolutely horrified" by your use of something instead of some things...;)

Anarchist Chossid said...

Anyway, I talked about the Mitteler Rebbe. He really made things very easy for us.

I honestly thought for a second you would continue “by writing Sha’ar HaYichud”.

Is it the case that the “shape” of “modern” Chabad Chassidus was given more by Tzemach Tzedek? I.e., there was Alter Rebbe, who created Chabad Chassidus. Then Mittler Rebbe started the explanation of Chabad Chassidus. Then Tzemach Tzedek started over, in his own shitta, and the rest of the Rebbeim followed.

Or is the person who told me this full of… stuff?

bonne said...

Married at 14...well. Huh.

Anarchist Chossid said...

I think he may have been more mature at 14 than I am at 24.

e said...

hashgacha pratis! We're discussing stuff vs.shtuff on Thanksgiving!

Just like a guy said...

La-Z-Boy: When you change thought processes in the middle of writing a sentence and forget (too lazy) to edit...

CA: I never heard that, very interesting. Whether it's true or not? Ask e.

Sara: They were different back then.

CA: Then any of us at any age.

e: As we eat shtuffing or stuffing?

La-Z-Boy said...

This would be the only time that you are allowed to say stuffing. Chap arein ;)

e said...

yeah, we certainly eat stuffing! did you forget the immortal words of Mrs. Ring? Stuffing is for turkeys!!

La-Z-Boy said...

Maybe there is some kabbalistic difference between stuff and stuffing...

Anarchist Chossid said...

Memalei vs. sovev.

Just like a guy said...

I was thinking more Arich versus Atik, personally.

La-Z-Boy said...

That was all irrelevant last night for me. You can't put stuff or stuffing in a turkey hot dog, which is what Yeshiva served. *gag*

Menashe said...

CA:

I think what we consider Chabad Chassidus was basically created by the Rebbe Rashab. Chassidus during and after his reign is a very different style. The AR took the seed of the BESHT and made it a plant. Each of the Rebbeim afterwards added water and watched it steadily grow. The RR turned that plant into a giant redwood, one of those thousand year old trees in california.

Anarchist Chossid said...

Nice analogy.

And the Rebbe turned it into a rainforest?

Anonymous said...

actually, following the analogy, the Rebbe turned it into a REDWOODforest. Just to clarify.