Sunday, November 1, 2009

Minnesota Connections

I got a call from Benny Friedman on Friday inviting me to a CD release party/farbrengen on Motzei Shabbos (that would be the night that was). I accepted, and Motzei Shabbos (of the night that was) found me at Lubavitch Yeshiva Crown St. at my first ever CD release party. Woohoo! First of all, of course, the CD was playing very loudly, and it sounds great. Very catchy.

After a while of standing on the side feeling awkward I went over to a bochur who was doing the same thing. Turns out he's e's and Dowy's roommate, which is cute. We chatted a bit, doing some people watching. Everyone who's anyone in the under-30 music business was there, including Benny Taubenfeld (head of Sameach Music) Yitzy Spinner, Dovid Stein, Yisroel Werdyger, Shloime Taussig, Avi Newmark (the producer), Sruli Meyer, and a whole bunch of other people who I don't know. Eventually Benny took the mike, and with Mr. Benshimon (yes, I must admit, I don't know his first name) on the keyboard, started to sing beautifully. He sang some duets, including Chasoif with Yisroel Werdyger, which he prefaced with, "I hope you're all drunk by now, because we've kind of forgotten how this goes." Needless to say, it was really nice. The whole thing was really nice, except for the whole feeling super awkward for most of it.

I was thinking that I was very provincial, let loose with all these fancy people, totally out of my league. Then I realized that in reality, when I'm comfortable, I'm on top of the world (witness last week's Poetry Slam). If you had stuck many of the people in that room at the poetry slam, they also would have been really uncomfortable and awkward and various other things. So really, it's all about who you know at any given moment. Of course there are also those people who are blessed with a certain natural ability to make friends wherever they are. Put me at a shabbos table with someone and I'll be fairly friendly with 'em by the time the meal's over, but a big room? I'm impressed that I made one friend!

Anywho, in case you somehow missed it, here's Benny's video preview thingamajiggie:

22 comments:

Mushkie said...

WOW! Sruly Meyer's podcast is the BEST. pretty high circles you mix in...

e said...

TRS: you are very high up there. very pally with some 'pop-stars'! hows was the food at the party? how many people were there?

Altie said...

very cool. Well you have to know SOMEONE to get a call like that. So nu, dish up. Who's your connection?

Wing it. Make believe you fit in, and you do. Many people have many faces and many places in many worlds.

Just don't forget which face to wear in whichever situation, don't forget how to act around whichever people (like don't try to be 'posh' at the poetry slam, or you might get booed off the stage)and you'll be fine.

learn to juggle. That's what life's about.

le7 said...

Hey. Altie. The title is Minnesota connections.

He's from Minnesota. Hello.

Altie said...

lol. ooooooh woops. I should've realized. Okay that is nice. I guess there is ONE benefit of being from a little hicktown such as that one.

Just like a guy said...

Mushkie: I try.

e: Food: ask your roommate, he was salivating all night.

I'd say there were about 100-125 people there.

Altie: If you read the rest of the post... i.e., some people have that talent, some don't. I don't.

At least I'm not from the biggest hicktown of them all... CH.

Altie said...

I read the whole post this time. Don't worry, you can learn.

And I'm not from CH.

And it's not a hicktown. At least all the Israelis have heard of it. Ask them where Minnesota is and they'll probably say, 'um, somewhere in Australia?'

bonne said...

Yeah, I don't do well with big rooms of unfamiliar faces either. Sounds quite cool though.

Nemo said...

Benny Friedman sounds like the biggest faker ever. He should heed his own admonition not to "fool yourself."

Yitzchak said...

Ohhh. Jewish pseudorock. I'm all impressed.

Seriously though, all you have to do is pretend that you're in a room full of real popstars i.e everyone's too high to care about what you do so don't worry.

Just like a guy said...

Altie: Since when did Israeli's knowledge count for anything?

Sara: Yup.

Nemo: That's rather harsh.

Modeh: Yup.

Altie said...

Since they took over the 'shchuna'.

It doesn't count for much. But take a survey of your average American, and most will definitely rate New York as more popular, and less hicktownish then Minnesota.

I think Mnnesota is pretty. I was there. And yes you guys have the coolest mall. But you just feel like you are in middle of nowhere.

Oh and your airport is huuuuge. I was just walking and walking forever to get to my terminal. They should make better use of those big empty hallways.

Anonymous said...

in the collive pic u look so chilled and happy

cool

Anonymous said...

was avremel there?

Just like a guy said...

Anon: The master of disguise-that's me.

Avremel: I believe he was in Israel.

e said...

somebody stole my identity! Notice that the comment left in my name above is not from my google account!

Just like a guy said...

It sure as heck is linked to you... unless http://www.blogger.com/profile/04376537400767851942 is not you?

Cheerio said...

"i hope you're all too drunk to notice" - cute.

Zvi said...

It's fitche Benshimon I think... He's from Montreal

Just like a guy said...

Cheerio: Benny is.

Zvi: Correct you are.

Anonymous said...

UR a master of disguise??

that sounds so dark

you seem to be the quintessential smiler

Just like a guy said...

Anon: Who mentioned disguise?

Disguise is dark?

I am :)