Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shylock of New York

As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of telling the whole truth. So, in the interests of truth, I'll now lay bare my soul. Sounds exciting, eh? I am currently in NY, why I'm not quite sure, but it's not too bad. This morning on the flight my row was full until the woman in the aisle moved one row back. The guy in the middle (I of course sat by the window) didn't move over! It was pretty strange. Not that I mind or anything, of course, though it did make Davening a little more difficult than it could have been. Overall though I managed to serve my creator with love and fear, so everything turned out all right in that department.
The first time I Davened on a plane was when I flew from Minnesota to Seattle, by way of Salt Lake City, a few weeks after 9/11. The couple ahead of me said that they were very happy that there was someone praying throughout the flight.
The next time I Davened, though this time it was in the airport, was in Atlanta, Georgia on a stopover from Fort Lauderdale to MSP. While I was in the middle of Davening a couple of Airtran gate attendants came over and asked me to stop, because it was scaring some people, and perhaps I could go to the chapel, which was about nine billion gates away. I said I'd sit down and try not to make a ruckus, and they left me alone after that. Later on I wished I had given them a speech about Leo Frank, my ancestors dying in the Holocaust, and antisemitism in general, but of course that was only later.
In general, I prefer not Davening on planes, simply because it's a pain. Today, however, I was a man, and I'm sure that you're all very proud. Thanks. no, really, I appreciate it.

4 comments:

le7 said...

Who is Leo Frank?

Just like a guy said...

A Jewish guy who was lynched in Atlanta in 1915.

le7 said...

Is he related to you?

Just like a guy said...

Beyond the familial connections that all Jews share? Not that I know of.