Sunday, July 19, 2009

Boy Lala!

Today I started learning about Chanuka. You ask why? That's a perfectly legitimate question. After all, the holiday doesn't begin for many moons. But you know what? My favorite Maamarim are those on Chanuka, because they deal with essential issues of Judaism. You're right, all Maamarim deal with essential issues of Judaism. So what's your point?

So today's Maamar, V'al Hanisim 1969, deals with the essential conflict between the Assyrian-Greek hordes and the tiny band of brothers who we know today as the Maccabees. Back then they knew 'em as the Hammers. Sort of like a basketball team, just without a very deep bench. (Was that analogy forced? You betcha). So what was the fight about? G-d, of course. The Assyrian-Greek hordes (from now on known as, well, whatever I call them) didn't particularly like G-d very much. They didn't mind if you kept the Torah; that's a beautiful thing. Even the Mitzvos which man can't understand they were fine with, because after all, intellect is infinite (or so they thought), so there must be a reason somewhere. But to follow the Torah because G-d said to? Heresy! And then they went around killing Jews. How typical, eh? If every anti-semite went around slaughtering Jews, where would we be?

As usual, I could go much deeper into this topic, but then your eyes would glaze over your brain would go to sleep, and I'd be stuck preaching to myself. So instead I'll just repeat that forever I am yours. Or something very much like that.

Meanwhile, in other news, now that you've obviously read this whole post, you should know that of course it's ancient (though edited), and that there's a new HH up. Enjoy.

24 comments:

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Ich vinch ihr ah refuah shleima

Just like a guy said...

Um...thanks but no thanks?

Sebastion said...

Go hammers!

Altie said...

great title.

nice post.

those greeks are dissapointing.

Just like a guy said...

Sebasation: Yup.

Altie: I doubt you get the title.

I thought so.

Why?

Altie said...

I dont. knowing u, i wouldnt understand it even if u explained it. but interesting nontheless.

they can't except reason. to do it cuz u dont know why, cuz u think its a beautiful tradition, cuz u want to, fine. but the second theres a reason for it, they get all worked up. they want to be in control.

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

...I think I would get the title if you explained it..

Just like a guy said...

My niece loves this video http://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/449766/jewish/Chanukah-Oh-Chanukah.htm

and refers to is as "Boy Lala" for obvious reasons.

Altie said...

:) very cute.

Dovid said...

oh

Just like a guy said...

Altie: Oh yes!

Dovid: Now you know.

bonne said...

You tricked us! Lucky for you it's one of my favorite ma'amorim.

Just like a guy said...

Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Really? You ever learned it? This post here didn't get into the really good part of the maamar.

le7 said...

Yeah well my favorite is Tanu Rabbanan ner Mitzvas Chanukah... are you going to do that one?

Just like a guy said...

Which one? There's at least fifty.

le7 said...

Tov Shin Lamed Ches.

Just like a guy said...

But it's already in English!

le7 said...

I know! (Too bad I didn't know that when we learned it).

But anyways, the English version uses all these highfalutin doctor lawyer words!

Just like a guy said...

As opposed to moi?

le7 said...

Exactly. A girl an I decided to learn a maamar from the Chassidic Heritage Series. A few lines in we had to look for an English dictionary (being in Tzfat and all) and were not very successful. We decided to switch to the Hebrew...

Just like a guy said...

TRS: a simple man

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Try halakhic man. He uses words that aren't in the Oxford English.

e said...

I immediately knew it was ancient! I remember this from last time around

Just like a guy said...

Modeh: And what will be with Divrei Elokim Chayim?

e: I'm glad to know that you remember posts of quality.