Saturday, March 28, 2009

Will time do it then?

I've been feeling very self-righteous lately. This is not a good thing. The problem is that I read this book of Mrs. Margolese and now suddenly I'm all liberalized and fired up to take on the challenge of life. Am I possibly correct in my self-righteousness? Possibly. But my fanaticism disturbs me. I suppose I've merely exchanged one set of ideals for another. Before I was big into law and order, but now I think I've found truth in love and all that sort of shtuff. The truth, of course, is that both approaches are backed up by our holy bible, and both are necessary. Contrary to what some may think, there is right and wrong in the world. As a religious Jew I turn to the Torah to define that right and wrong for me. So what's the problem? I'm not even completely sure. I'm simply disturbed by my own new-found over-hyphenization and belief in the power of being nice. Being nice wouldn't have stopped the Nazis or the Commies. Of course, being nice would stop a lot of things. The problem is figuring out which is which. Every mature adult, at some point, figures this out. So I'm not saying anything new. Woohoo.

-----

Meanwhile, back on the ranch, if anyone is considering frieing out because they're not happy, well, it's not going to work. It's like marriage (not that I would know). It doesn't solve all your problems. I realize that these are blanket statements, and there'll always be someone who'll tell me why I'm wrong. Fine.

Amyway, for example, I have a friend I was talking to recently who I always puzzled over. He seemed to be the type of guy who made a good bochur, and yet he got married very soon after finishing smicha. I asked him about this, and he explained that he really hated being a bochur. He was lonely, this, that, the other thing, whatever. Point is, if you're lonely, then getting married can solve your problems.

So too with frieing out. If you're obsessed with eating chicken nuggets at McDonalds, then yes, frieing out and eating chicken nuggets at McDOnalds will solve your problems. And no, I did not just compare being lonely at wanting to eat chicken. I mean, I did, but I didn't mean to.

My point is that if someone is really unhappy, deeply unhappy, not because of an external reason but because they're b'etzem not happy, then they probably don't need to get a spouse, they need to get a therapist.

And please, I'm not a supreme court justice, this doesn't mean I'm not happy. BH, I may be a bit stressed, but basically, I'm pretty happy.

----

And also, go check out the latest Haveil Havalim. You'll be glad you did.

10 comments:

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

You are talking at great length and saying not much at all. THat is a fault usually reserved for mediocre pulpit rabbis. I hope you are neither.

Just like a guy said...

Well, not right now I'm not.

Cheerio said...

give it time.. :P

Just like a guy said...

You're so sweet.

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Ahh, but chabad shluchim are far from mediocre in my limited experience. Nor are they simply pulpit rabbis, which often denotes ignorami whose smicha was awarded as a degree without a farher and preparing drashos are their only limud hatorah for the week (hence pulpit).

You on the other hand are a chassidishe bochur and hence greater than such things (we hope :P)

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

Such it was meant to be.

le7 said...

The only reason you're saying so little, I assume, is because you're not saying everything you wish?

Just like a guy said...

That's right.

Anonymous said...

Nicely said...Im not sure what it was but definatly well delievered. also to modeh person, I think that your last comment was the shortest one ever left by yourself! of course while still retaining its usual elegance :p

J

Modeh B'Miktsas said...

J, in short you are calling me a long-winded boor. Thank you.