Friday, May 30, 2008

Peretz Ben D'mah

There's a custom among many bloggers to put lists of links on their sites on Fridays. Since Minhag Hainternet Lav Torah Hee, I'll be doing a little bit of this today.
Today is the 36th anniversary of the Lod Airport Massacre. Until last night, I had never even heard of this massacre of 26 innocent people in Israel. Here's the link for more info. In other news, this week we read the portion of Bamidbar, and bless the month of Sivan. This is the only week we say the Av Harachamim prayer on Shabbos Mevarchim, and it's because these guys killed lots and lots of Jews, as detailed here. The Lubavitcher Rebbe put a positive spin on our recital of Av Harachamim. The Rebbe also called for this Shabbos to be filled with Jewish unity, and, once again, the details are here.

In other news, I forgot to add one little thing to yesterday's post. The Gemara says that horse urine is Kosher. Fascinating, no? Donkey urine is not Kosher, because it's murky. Since we don't rule on laws from the Gemara, I do have to put in the little disclaimer that the Shulchan Oruch rules that urine from non-Kosher beasts is not permitted. Oh well.

8 comments:

e said...

Why isn't the gemara's kula ungenumen l'halacha?

Also, how can any list of Judaism-related links not include the most informative website on the entire Internet, the flagship website of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement?

Nemo said...

I was under the impression that Google took the title for the "most informative website on the entire internet."

e said...

hey, whatever.

Leo de Toot said...

Dear Mr. R.S.
I followed up your comments on VIN and first must applaud your courage at getting involved in a chain of comments in that forum. I read VIN at least twice a day and must admit that I particularly enjoy the comments on the hot topics. While some comments are good, there is a tendancy for extremists to get involved and, even though their point of view is the most interesting to read, they tend to miss the point. I thought your observations were relevant and provided a good insight by explaining the view of the Rebbe which, if analyzed, incorporates a number of key Chabad principles and is therefore very powerful. I'm sure I don't need me to tell you to ignore your critics (at least on this occasion). Strongly in your corner, as always, L de Toot.

Nemo said...

I also see you frequenting FrumSatire.

Just like a guy said...

Eliezer: Look it up. As far as I can recall, it's just because some Rabbi may or may not have said that it's not ok, so we Pasken l'chumrah.
Ldt: I try.
Nemo: Ditto

Yossi said...

I know what peretz ben damah is from, but I can't see the connection to your post...

Just like a guy said...

I bet this post was written on the 25th or 26th of the month.

I'm glad my old posts are providing you with entertainment.