Monday, December 15, 2008

He knows! plus some complaining: rated TRS

In case I don't get to post tonight after the farbie, though the chances of that happening are slim, I thought you'd be interested in some of the happenings of the Rabbinical College of America. By mincha this afternoon I heard our esteemed leader utter the words, "u'vedivrei kodshecha kasuv lamor", which was quite odd, because he wasn't the chazzan. After lunch I inquired of him if I could ask a highly personal question, and proceeded to inquire regarding his practice. He said, "I'm afraid to answer you, I don't know where the answer is going to end up!" After we all laughed a little, and all the smicha bochurim in this here pogrom digested the news, he proceeded to explain his actions.

"I say," he said, "those words because when the Rebbe davened mincha on shabbos he would do so in the middle of 770, and I saw him say them." I asked if the same applied to, "l'umasam meshabchim v'omrim", but the answer was a negative. So that's very interesting.

Meanwhile, in other news, this place is currently pretty depressing. In every other Lubavitch yeshiva in the known universe they will be having two farbrengens and a seudas hodaah over the next two days, but in this neck of the woods? Wouldn't you do it, but they're combining one of those farbies with the seudah. Even tiferes bochurim, that bastion of Judaism, is not doing things properly. Heck, they're only having one! What is the world coming to? I hate to sound like an AK, but back when I was a bochur, this nonsense would never have been allowed to occur. The bochurim would have revolted against hanhala; here, they take it like sheep being led to the slaughter. All in all, I'm quite put out.
And it's no good telling me to do something about it either. At this point in my AK life, it's enough that I'm still putting on tefillin every day.
I joke. Barely.

22 comments:

le7 said...

Quit your complaining. At least there is a farbrengen for you to go to.

I'm just farbrenging with my iPod and bio text book.

Just like a guy said...

Ahh yes, the sympathy females are renowned for.

le7 said...

Well at least your post isn't lonely anymore. Just dejected.

Just like a guy said...

You know what I feel like?
"confused, frustrated, I think I'm dejected, trying to get back to LA, where I came from, as a zal bochur, kukureku. "

Or, of course...
"hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the farbie we go, singing, dancing, various other things, hi ho, hi ho."

le7 said...

"confused...kukureku." - T.T.T.O.?

Just like a guy said...

8th Day (Marcus brothers) Ku Ku Reeku

le7 said...

Wasome.

Anonymous said...

BS"D
Why not fight for the right to Farbreng?
Or make your own on the side-those are always the best... at least the girly ones are always the best that way...

Just like a guy said...

The girly ones eh? I've only been by a few really good mushroom farbrengens. Usually they're just bullshoves with food, or worse, with people pretending to know something.
Thank the one above we actually had a really nice farbie tonight; the post should be up within the hour.

Anonymous said...

He really knows? That's funny.

Just like a guy said...

Finely! Someone gets it! Yeah, it was pretty funny. Heck, it is pretty funny.

le7 said...

Fab Gal - Bluntly. Unless its anything like the one I missed (where R. Taub managed to make you all feel completely awful and yet inspired to try and spend $1,000 that night) - girl farbrengens suck.

Cheerio said...

AK?
and since when are you not a bochur? you're a bochur until you marry or 45 years of age, which ever comes first.
(i'd say 30, but then i thought about the 30 year old guys i know who arent married. yup, definitely still bochurim.)

Just like a guy said...

Well, at times I feel like it.

Cheerio said...

yeah, but what does AK mean, you old man?

le7 said...

If I may impose, I think it indeed means "old man."

Cheerio said...

ah. in my country, it would be AC.

Just like a guy said...

AC?

le7 said...

Cheerio - Also in mine, although I make an effort to understand multiple dialects.

e said...

According to YIVO's transliteration guidelines, "AK" is correct. All those who make an effort to understand multiple dialects should try to speak the standard dialect.

le7 said...

E: That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

Let me guess. Next you're going to suggest we all abandon our mother tongues and speak Esperanto?

e said...

Let's get something straight. What does AK or AC mean in your native dialect?