Thursday, December 4, 2008

Watched Digital Animals: Part II: You expected different?

So, that article came out. You can see me, sitting next to Rabbi Gancz, with the writing on my Yarmulkeh. Unfortunately, my quote didn't make it into the story. Well, maybe that's a good thing, because I really didn't say anything too intelligent. It was pretty funny, because we were prepped for nearly an hour about what and what not to say, and then who do we get interviewed by? Some Jewish guy from a local newspaper. Who just wanted the standard shtuff. Who got the standard shtuff.
Now, if it had been mano-a-mano, things would've been different. Or maybe not. It's too late to think about these things. Now this is a truly horrible article. Read it.

Instead I'll tell you a cute little episode that occurred to yours truly soon after I had finished blogging last night. So it was around 1:15, and I see a minivan pull up near the side entrance two stories under my window. I wondered who it could possibly be, and instead of doing the intelligent thing and going to sleep I stayed to find out who it could possibly be. Imagine my surprise when a couple of chassidishe guys roll out and start transferring books from the trunk to the front. Yeah, I wasn't too surprised, primarily because it was 1:15 in the morning. Most things don't surprise me at that hour. So anyway, there I am, trying to figure out if I've brushed my teeth or not, and my roommate walks into our room, fresh from a shower, and dumps a load of Breslov propaganda on the table. Turns out these guys came into the dorm at 1:00, looking for charity and proselytizing.
Now, I'm all for Yafutzu Maanosecha Chutzah, but at 1:00 AM? In a Lubavitch Yeshiva? Are these people crazy or something?

16 comments:

le7 said...

Okay I really have to ask - חנ"ן ?

Anonymous said...

A veiberishe kop. Vos ken zi shoyn farshtein?

le7 said...

Chauvanistic e - Isn't there that whole thing about not embarrassing Jews in public?

Anonymous said...

I decide that girls a gashmius... kavod habrios is just pretend...

le7 said...

I figured that it would be far beyond what my female brain is capable of understanding. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Points for me, you're quoting Blue Fringe.

Just like a guy said...

Elisheva, if you really want to know, go ask the simple shoemaker.

le7 said...

Which simple shoemaker?

Just like a guy said...

e.

le7 said...

Hey Mister E - care to elaborate?

e said...

TRS, Gospodin Sam Sapozhnik is far from a simple shoemaker. And it's never nice to explain an inside joke with another inside joke. Basically, the idea is like this:

TRS' name is Chanan. (Gasp! Breach of confidentiality!) In Semicha one learn about a halachic concept חתיכה(עצמה) העשה נבילה, meaning, when milk falls into a piece of meat, the whole piece of meat is considered unkosher. This is abbreviated to חנ"ן. In TRS' long and interesting sojourn among semicha learners, countless people have independently come to the brilliant conclusion that TRS' name is the same as the abbreviation of the principle הנ"ל. Of course each of these geniuses needed to share his novel thought with TRS.

When we were in Israel (as you can read in the TRS archives), TRS and I chanced upon this nice store in Meah shearim that embroiders kippot. TRS got חנ"ן, and I got Sam Sapozhnik.

For more info, visit http://therealshliach.blogspot.com/2008/07/hibba-part-ix-100-gates.html

le7 said...

I thought I wasn't supposed to be able to understand that. Can't you make it a bit more obscure?

e said...

You didn't understand it. I oversimplified the concept of חנ"ן so that our light-minded female friends could understand. The way I described chan"n, it' almost exactly like טעם כעיקר.

Our local Semicha scholar, who is learning in a real program would be better qualified to enlighten and obfuscate the understanding of the woman-folk.

Or maybe our legal scholar Nemo would care to share his 0.4 nickels.

le7 said...

Good. For a second I was worried that I was intelligent.

e said...

Perish the thought! What are women coming to? Will they soon begin claiming suffrage and all that?

le7 said...

Wait we can vote?

Just like a guy said...

The whole point of Chanan is that it becomes a brand new issur.
And yes Eli, as strange as the decision may have been, you do have the vote.